minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  bitchy new switchy
morgan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:47 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

so after 4K trouble-free miles on the new engine and totally rebuilt bike, a very small problem has occured:

back when i rewired the bike, i replace the old Rally switch box on the throttle side with a new VBB-style one to match the new wiring harness.

i could see when i installed it though, that the new switches for the old bikes are nowhere near the quality of the old switches, which seemed to use more heavy duty plastic.

sure enough, the kill switch on the new box, which is like a tiny peice of plastic and a couple pieces of copper, has stopped working. although killing the engine by letting out the clutch in 2nd gear is easy enough, i'd like the bike to work correctly right down to little things like the kill switch.

i haven't had a minute to pull off the cover of the switchbox and have a look at the button yet. it could be an easy fix, and if not, it's not hard to replace the whole box, but i feel like one way or another i'm still stuck with a junky little plastic-y part that's going to keep giving me trouble. i mean, it's brand new and is already busted after 2 seasons. would another one of the same switchboxes be any better?

my question to the vintage heads out there is, am i better off finding a vintage vbb switchbox in good condition than buying another one of the remakes? my old Rally box got real brittle and the buttons were cracking and it was generally falling apart. i don't want that either. how have your old ones faired? are all those little tiny kill switches kind of dicey?

or should i pull a mr. vespar and attach like a home-style light switch to the headset with duct tape and rewire it with speaker wire to bypass the original kill switch? that'd be cool!

(i actually saw a scooter that someone had partially rewired with speaker wire. it was pretty funny...)

let me know what you think...
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:06 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I have found that in almost all cases original parts are much better then the repros.

The reproduction switch cover is made too tall and out of really cheap metal. The kill button usually falls through its opening because of this. And, you are correct, the plastic parts are crap. The originals used a "bake-o-lite" material instead of fragile/brittle plastic.

Find an original in good condition.
morgan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

cool. in fact, that's the answer i was hoping to hear.

i'll start looking for a good old one...