minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Pee ah geo micro car
Derrick
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:58 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Have you seen this? Maybe it's old news.

http://www.vtl.piaggio.com/vetturette.htm
Stumpy
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:08 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

That rocks.

I'd buy one right now if they were here.

Diesel, huh.
Jeff
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:36 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Ugly.

I like the Apes though, and the little four wheel drive vans and pickups are cool.
nealaustin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:31 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Don't bet on getting anything like this anywhere in the US. Dhe Dept of Transportation would block this car just like they have been blocking the Smart Car. Unsafe due to not enough mass. Right now the smallest car you can get is the Chev Avio and im suprised that the gov allowed that. The polititions always talk about saving fuel but it's just lip service. Has to weigh a gaziooion tons and use 100 miles to a gallon. Personally I'd like to se something nuclear powered. [just kidding]

Neal
n8murphy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:02 pm  Reply with quote
Training

you can buy a smart car in canada. i seen a bunch of them in halifax. i lived there when they came out i did not know you couldn't buy one here.
michelle
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:22 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

i would love to get 100 miles to the gallon!!! :)
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kennylibido
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:52 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Those things are amazing. Several of us drove the SmartCars a few summers ago. Derrick seemed to get a kick out of them. One problem though - you'd have to be very careful about scooters turning right in front of you - they might not see you. Imagine getting nailed by an Expedition in one of those things.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:59 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

kennylibido wrote:
Imagine getting nailed by an Expedition in one of those things.

Being a fan of small cars, I think a lot about that. But the Smart has a pretty incredible body design, such that it's more likely to protect you in a serious accident than most cars twice its size. It's designed so that the passenger compartment is contained within a single-piece high-tensile plastic cage such that however it twists around, the compartment will not substantially shrink as long as it doesn't completely fail, which at least in European traffic accidents they aren't prone to do. But of course everything is bigger here, and the extreme weight of some SUVs probably would substantially raise the risk of catastrophic failure of the frame. Still, I guess it's a lot tougher than a metal cage of similar dimensions, and it keeps its shape better too.

Those of us who live our lives completely within the urban core could really appreciate the smart though - easy to park, good in any weather, peppy at low speeds, and unlike a scooter, able to haul the offspring. Not likely I'd drive one out into the SUV-loving suburbs though, and a trip cross-country would suck.

nealaustin
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:55 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

When I was at the dealership in Berlin they really took time to explain to me what makes the Smart such a safe car. One componet is the size an height of the doors. A SUV cannot penetrate the door on either side due to its bottom height off of the ground and its shape. Also the crumple zones and rear diving engine. The list goes on. It's an incredible car

Neal

DriveIn
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:32 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

I like small cars, but have an angst about them even though I have a few. My opinion on small cars on US roads ...if you put a bug in a crush proof jar and shake it really hard, you will still kill the bug. Small cars on US Roads is a mix for disaster for that tank driver that doesn't care to pay attention because they aren't the ones that will get hurt. Anyone remember the bumper sticker that said, Drive Defensively, Buy a Tank. ...so the bug driving that allegedly crush proof baby food jar on US roads doesn't stand a chance unless they can stay out of harms way.