minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  Events  ~  Tuesday Night Routine Ride
fnirt
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:34 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm working on (with some co-conspirators) planning a ride for Tuesday evenings. Essentially it'll be self-guided. Kinda like this:

1. Anyone welcome
2. Meet near Lake Harriet Bandshell (or similar noncommercial location TBD)
3. Hang out and chit chat for a SHORT amount of time (like from 6:30 to 7)
4. Head out at an an approximate time, in small groups or in as large a group as will stay together without blocking traffic, etc.
5. Do the Grand Rounds or a modified version thereof, but the same route EVERY WEEK

It's more frequent, so summer schedules can be flexible. I know I get into a bad loop sometimes when I have vacation or summer events every other week and they always happen to be on ride Sundays. It's also somewhere highly visible, so new riders can stumble upon us hanging out for 20 minutes before riding, or friends can tell friends "Oh you have a scooter? I always see scooters at Harriet on Tuesday Night" and thus bring in new blood.

Self guided? We can all leave at the same time, but there's no waiting for slow people, or having to keep up with fast people. Also, if the group gets split at a light or something, there's no upset. It's not so much a group ride, as a group of scooters leaving the same place, going the same direction, at roughly the same time. Ideally small groups would end up forming for each night.

As it evolves there may be periodic stops here and there along the route to collect up folks if so desired. I'm trying to print up a pile o maps of the route for the uninitiated, as well. I'll keep them in my glovebox and hand them out as needed. Or others can as well.

It will also eventually be non-dependant on any one person to lead the run. If it's a regular thing, and people just know where to go (or even if some people choose to do a new route by themselves) it won't be a waffle-match trying to come up with a route or someone to lead it.

Why the same route? I know some people are sick of it but.. It's a fun route. It's relatively simple and pretty. And if I know I can get in on the Tuesday ride for only half an hour and bail at suchandsuch a place, I'd be more likely to go for it. That, and if I'm late I can try and intercept the group(s) if I know approximately when and where they'll be.

Heck, if it works out, I'd even offer to say this could be a self-guided slow ride for the rally. Throw the map and a brief flyer about how to follow the route in the Rally bag o stuff. I've got a Stella now, so I'd want to go to Afton for the rally, but if one option for slower scoots was to follow this ride, I think it might help the situation.

My whole purpose here is to offer a low-stress ride, especially for people who don't have much group riding experience or even know about the club. But it's also an opportunity for those with a lot of experience to get to know new folks, mix it up, and get in some of those beautiful evening summer rides!

I'll most likely be start this Tuesday with an initial loop to see how long it takes exactly, etc. If people are interested, I'll post to confirm that when I know for sure. I think a catchy name might be needed, as well. And T-Shirts. And a theme song. And a mascot.

Thoughts?

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Needs to be more exclusive.
michelle
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:33 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

co-conspirators?? hmmm...

i'm all for it, fnirt... er, robert. consistent. methodical. (you're starting to sound like a serial killer or something!)

count me in. 6:30 this upcoming tuesday. see ya then!! and since i can't friggin go to the rally, i'd best get all the group riding in that i can...
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fnirt
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:32 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'll be at the parking lot by the Lake Harriet Bandshell sometime after 6:30pm, and I'll be taking off on the/a/some ride at 7:00pm.

If it's raining, there's always next week. But I'll pry show even in a drizzle.

This ride is open to anyone with a scooter. Scooter with a motor. And two wheels. Capable of going AT LEAST 20 mph.

(How's THAT for exclusive, Derrick?)

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:10 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'll be very happy to join you on the new Stella...er, after the "House" season finale.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jess
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:45 am  Reply with quote
Noob

TIVO...it will change your life.
michelle
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:43 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

see ya there, robert....
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fnirt
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

.. that if it's raining I'm not going to be there, but will show if it's drizzling?

The radar doesn't look so hot right about now, but we'll see.

TomR
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:25 am  Reply with quote
Training

"... if I am late I can try and intercept the group ..."

Approximately where will the group be and in what direction will they be travelling at maybe 7:30 and/or 7:45 this Tuesday? (Asuming that the weather holds)
Tom
fnirt
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:28 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Last week there were two of us and it was a pretty good run. We were watching the gray clouds slide over us the whole way, and it started raining at the top end of Lake of the Isles.

I am planning on going again this Tuesday, but I'm out of town next week, so it'll be a nice test of the "can this run by itself" concept.

Here's the (current) route:

Based on last weeks run, which was kinda in the wrong direction due to rain..

I think the route is working out to be something like this:

Meet at the Lake Harriet bandshell.

From Harriet go round the lake to Calhoun, go clockwise around calhoun to dean pkwy.

From Dean go counterclockwise around lake of the isles, then up hennepin through downtown.

Catch the river road (west side) down the river to minnehaha, then follow the creek back to harriet.

Based on that route I'd guess we'd be somewhere along the river road by 7:30 or 7:45. I should have a MUCH more confident guess on locations/times after this next run.

Last week I got the map started, this week I hope to get the rest of the route so I can post a map. It's not as complicated as it looks, it's essentially the Grand Rounds with the top (memorial pkwy, etc) lopped off.

Once the route stabilizes it'll be the same every week.

Grant
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:35 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Thanks for organizing this Robert. I hope to get out soon for them. I keep having things come up for Tuesday evenings.

Grant
fnirt
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:12 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Well, the second ride happened last night and I think it went well. Only two of us, but the route was good. 1:15 total riding time over 22 miles, I think.

Yeah, it's a little slow in spots, but you have to stop and smell the roses from time to time.

I think it's cool that the run goes through so many different types of ride. The lakes with it's crowds and people watching, downtown through urban traffic, down the river, up the creek, etc. It contains the longest stop-free stretch I've found in the cities (river pkwy, 2 miles), the coolest (down by the river, always 5 degrees cooler than the rest of the city), the prettiest (take your pick), etc.

I'm out of town next week, but the following week I'll be there again, with maps to hand out if people want them. I'll also try and get a map online, as well. I know most people don't need the map, but it can't hurt.

michelle
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:05 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

sounds nice... misc. crud has kept me from attending the past few tuesdays.
Adam
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:32 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Haven't said it yet, so let me do so now. The Tuesday night rides are a great idea. A simple, pleasant way to add another social ride to the calendar.

This Tuesday (MAY 31) seems like it is going to be near perfect conditions for an evening ride. Looking forward to trying out the route.
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:06 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hopefully I can be there this time.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger