minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  New scooter guy here
Harvey
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:48 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Just found your site. VERY nice!
I live in the Saint Cloud area. I have a 64 GL that's in all of its 164 pieces. Unfortunately it's been this way through three residences and now I think its about time (ya think??) to get that old girl back together again.
Little history on the scoot;
I bought the bike in non running condition because I needed the woodruf key. The poor thing looked like it had lost a battle against a toddler with a ball peen hammer. The shell/frame.. the biggest metal part ended up going to Scooterworks since I lived, uh, somewhat north of there at the time. They did a great job and now I have a beautiful forest green 1964 scooter frame/shell... big metal part waiting for the same kind of loving care to be attended to the rest of the 163 pieces.

The scoot's been apart for apporoximately nine years and the engine turned the last time I tried. Since the interest in scooters is on the increase, I really got to get this little green bug back on the road.

What I need to know is, how is the legality of being on appropiate roads (this one does a hair over fifty mph) in the state? Even though she never had directionals, I've gotten conflicting reports regarding whether or not she's street legal.

Thanks,
Harv
Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:30 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

You do NOT need turn signals.

Vintage vehicles are "grandfathered" in and do not need to meet DOT requiremnents inacted after their year of manufacture.

This is my understanding of the laws. I am not a lawyer.
some_dude
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:31 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Welcome, Harvey.

I'm always happy to hear when another vintage scoot will be reassembled/resurected and put back on the road. Have fun with your project!

As far as legality goes, my understanding of Minnesota law is that as long as it did not have signals (or other equipment required now) when it was new, you are "grandfathered" in and don't need to add them. Many of us run vintage bikes w/o signals. A common misconception is that you are required to use the collector plate on a non-complying bike. You may buy whatever plate suits your needs.

You need a headlight with high/low beam, at least one mirror, a horn, a tailight, and a brake light that works with at least one of the brakes.

Check this out:

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/ots/Laws_Legislation/motorcycle.asp

I'm not a lawyer, either.
DriveIn
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:28 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

The only conficting reading I've found on vintage cylces and scooters is the foot peg issue, or lack of actual foot pegs. Some people say they've received some grief about it, but I have not read any follow up information explaining the problem in detail. I place it in the can't believe everything you read category until proven otherwise. If it's a genuine problem, it seems it would be unenforcable. They couldn't expect a person to do anything corrective when it is not in the original design of the bike or scooter, and new scooters aren't much different. I would guess it's just from a few petty interpretations of the law by some bureaucratic jerks if it is true. As for scootering on open roads. If you can't keep up with traffic, don't enter traffic. I have cars that barely make highway speeds. I upgrade the engines to something highway worthy or don't take them on the highway. At least I have that option with my little british cars.

Oh, and Hello Harvey, Welcome to the forum.

nate
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:11 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

-If the motorcycle has a passenger seat, it must also have passenger footrests.

- Passengers must be able to reach both footpegs while seated on the bike.

- Operators and passengers must face forward with one leg on each side of the motorcycle.

The first one is the 'intent' of the law- the floorboards of a scooter are quite capable of serving as a footrest. (unless you've chopped the rear 8" off of the floorboards, I suppose.)
The second should probably be changed from 'footpegs' to match the earlier mention of 'footrests'. I think that's something I'd risk a ticket and a court date over.

The third doesn't apply, except it does seem written to get rid of the BITCHIN' sidesaddle vintage footrests. Those are beautiful.

Lev. 15:17
Harvey
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:18 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Appreciate the info.

Harv