minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Piaggo Fly 150
yoyo65
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:18 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

April of 2005, my Dh and I bought our first scooter (an Eton Beamer Marix)

We traded that in in late Aug for Schwinn Graduate for me and a Piaggio Fly 150 for him.

I have not had any problems with my Schwinn.

My DH has had problems with the Fly 150 from the start. ( it's a 2005 or 2006, I can't remember off hand, but it is brand spankin' new)

The basic problem is that it would start sputtering and stall out in mid-motion. Then it would flood VERY easily when you tried to restart it.
Now keep in mind, it only has an electronic start and automatic choke, no kick start at all. (all that starting in turn, drained the battery, he now needs a new one, already)

I test drove it for him (I'm quite a bit more mechanically inclined than he is) to see if I could get an idea of what going on.

If you could get the engine REALLY warmed up, it would run fine most of the time. Getting the engine warmed up was difficult though. We just had to stand there and keep the idle up and never let it stall out or then it would flood when you tried to restart. I also notice that if you could get it to idle on it's own, without continuing to rev the engine, the idle would run really fast, so much so the rear wheel would spin.

The few times I did manage to get what I thought would have been a warmed up engine (at least 10 minutes of ideling/reving, which, IMO, is way too long) shortly after I would start riding , it would sputter and stall out. In my observation, this seem to happen when I gave the scooter some gas as in to get up an incline. It was not a very steep incline either. Another time , when I was approaching a signal that was red, I slowed down but the light turned green before I came to a complete stop, when I gave her more gas to continue, she stalled out.

My thought is the gas is running to rich or not rich enough. I don't really know though, I don't really know anything about 4 stroke engines yet. I'm used to working on cars. I want to learn though. I just need to find the time to learn and somebody or someplace to teach me.

Dh brought it back to the dealer he bought it from but they could not get it to stall out like that and said "driver error" I think driver errore may be part of the problem. I think this is a sensitive bike and I told him to use a gentle hand on the throttle. That helped me some when I was testing it for him, but like I said, I had problems also.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

n8murphy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:59 pm  Reply with quote
Training

without actually looking at the bike i can't say for sure but you may have a bad plug a bad fuel pump or check valve your valves may need to be adjusted or perhaps your carburator has bits of metal or other stuff in the jets due to the poor machining proceses that piagio implements. they have a lot of quality control issuses with them stupid cv carbs. i would check the plug first and drop the carb bowl and if you don't know that much about the model i would sugest buying a service manual. a four stoke has more moving parts but it does the same thig all motors do it sucks and it blows. good luck.
yoyo65
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:55 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thank you! This gives me a good start. At least it may sound like I know what I am talking about when we go pick up the bike in the spring.
Then again, it is my DH's scooter not mine, he should do the talking! LOL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:58 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

What is a "DH"?

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
nate
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

(darling husband. C'mon, get with the internet lingo. All the kids are using it.)

Lev. 15:17
yoyo65
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:12 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Well, it doesn't ALWAYS mean "darling" or "dear"! I've probably thought of a few other colorful words when I've been talking about him. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

nate wrote:
(darling husband. C'mon, get with the internet lingo. All the kids are using it.)

ROTFLMAO.

OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:41 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

433 wrote:
nate wrote:

ROTFLMAO.

OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!

Word. When I was a kid the internet was a place where people spoke English. Well, at least English-speaking people spoke English. Well, actually nobody spoke because there weren't sound cards. Ah, f*ck it.

LOLWWJDOMGROTF/.=P:-);-<

DriveIn
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:29 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

When you were a kid, they spoke english on the internet? You mean those days of teletype machines hooked in to the nearest mainframe which was usually 150 miles away or more. There was noise alright, no sound cards, but plenty of noise. Oh, and those wonderful card readers that replaced the punch tapes.

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:41 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

DriveIn wrote:
When you were a kid, they spoke english on the internet? You mean those days of teletype machines hooked in to the nearest mainframe which was usually 150 miles away or more. There was noise alright, no sound cards, but plenty of noise. Oh, and those wonderful card readers that replaced the punch tapes.

Hey, let's not make fun of punch cards. I still have a stack of punch cards in my office, and we have a USB punch card reader in our office. We refer to it as "classic" computing.

DriveIn
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:40 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Tom Lindsay wrote:
Hey, let's not make fun of punch cards. I still have a stack of punch cards in my office, and we have a USB punch card reader in our office. We refer to it as "classic" computing.
They make such a thing. And I threw out all the old punch cards from so long ago.....

some_dude
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

To quote Dilbert:

"Oh yeah, I wrote an entire database using only zeros!"
nate
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

You had the internet when you were a kid? And you're familiar with punchcards?

DOES NOT COMPUTE!
DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Unless your parents were employed at Sperry Rand and took you to an awful lot of "take your kids to work days", it would have been pretty difficult to get internet access in the punch card days.

Unless you were taking some rhetorical license, in which case FOCL! u r teh funny

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:00 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

nate wrote:
You had the internet when you were a kid? And you're familiar with punchcards?

DOES NOT COMPUTE!
DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Unless your parents were employed at Sperry Rand and took you to an awful lot of "take your kids to work days", it would have been pretty difficult to get internet access in the punch card days.

Unless you were taking some rhetorical license, in which case FOCL! u r teh funny

You're thinking in too linear a fashion: "First there were mainframes that took punchcards. Then there were mainframes with terminals. Then there were desktops accessing mainframes. Then there were more modern desktop-server network models. Then the internet went public and peer-to-peer networks." The beauty (and horror) is that it's quite a bit more of a milieu than that, especially when working with an historical data project such as the Minnesota Population Center's census projects (http://www.ipums.org and http://www.pop.umn.edu). "The punch card days" aren't over if you need access to very old data. And as a kid I had access to the internet through the University of Missouri on those cool-as-hell DEC terminals that fed paper and printed what you typed, then printed the server's response. It took a lot of paper to do anything though...

nate
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:22 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of "what some people called the internet really wasn't". I mean, the first INTERNET router didn't come online until something like '77. The internet didn't become the INTERNET until '83, when ARPANET was split up. '86 is when it became soemwhat useable to the general public- But even then, you'd have had to have been in a pretty fortunate place to be playing with the internet as a kid.

Just making sure we're talking about the real internet, and not "playing on a computer that was on a network". That's all.