<  General Scootering  ~  Piaggo Fly 150
Matty
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:34 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

so which internet did Gore invent?

nate
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:45 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Gore obviously didn't do too much with the internet until after he was elected in '77- So he didn't help to bring Arpanet around (which was the true beginnings of the internet), but he was an awfully big proponent of the existing technology, and he did push for extensive use of it- he is generally credited with being on of the 'early adopters' and pushed for its more widespread growth.

Is it fair to say that he helped to create the internet (not invent!) which didn't technically exist until '83? Probably. Is it fair to say that he created DARPANET, the precursor to the internet? No, not at all. Is it fair to say that he really helped push for the growth of the internet as a public resource? Absolutely. So take that as you will.

But it does make for a good joke. Thank goodness he's the only politician that's ever misspeaked. I mean not spoked so good. Whatever.

Lev. 15:17
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:47 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Right. I was born in '76, so I'm talking post-1986.

yoyo65
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:19 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

HELP! My thread has been hijacked! LOL
Come on guys! Help a girl out here.

But I remember those punch cards also. An aunt used to work for Deluxe Check Printers way back in the 70's. She collected what seemed like a ton of them and made a Christmas wreath out of them. Spay painted it gold, too. Talk about tacky. I wonder when my mom finally got rid of it.

nate
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:24 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

My folks worked at CDC, and we had one of those too!

I really really wish I had one of them. Ours was thrown away before I quite understood how fantastically geeky it was.

Sorry about your DH's fly and the subsequent hijacking.

yoyo65
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:41 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

quite alright. I'm still having fun reading the posts. bringing back lots of memories.

DriveIn
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:01 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Tom Lindsay wrote:
Right. I was born in '76, so I'm talking post-1986.
You're just a kid. I remember when disk drives were 8 feet long, and were moved with a forklift. Only the pentagon and a few major companies had those big cylinders. Then the platters came along. You had to scrub them with wooden sticks with a pad on the end dipped in alcohol as regular maintenance. I was trained on platters, burroughs tape drives with vacuum systems for tensioning, and tube electronics. Solid State was still the new up and coming technology. Floppy disks were the size of a normal LP record, and not the 5-1/4 inch most people are familiar with from the 80's. The heads had to be aligned or replaced on a regular basis. There was a network of communications for government and corporate contractors. The biggest step in technology I remember that really was a big deal for me at the time was writing a program for a pop machine. Computers were in pop machines, WOW!

nate
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/images/new_hard_drive.jpg

This story made me laugh when I first read it:

Update: Daniel Klein sez, "The picture is of a fixed-head disk, very similar to a Borroughs unit I had the pleasure of disassembling (in 1975) after a catastrophic head crash (I got authorization from Gordon Bell himself to do it). It took me 3 days to whittle it down to nuts and bolts, and the platter weighed 18 pounds. The hub upon which the platter was mounted was phosphor bronze, and weighed an additional 17 pounds. So imagine the inertia of 35 pounds spinning at 3600 RPM. It had electric brakes, because if you just switched off the power, it would spin for a loooong time. There is an (apocryphal) story of movers just hitting the circuit breaker (not the off switch that engaged the brakes), and after waiting the requisite 5 minutes for spindown, loaded the drive into a truck. All the moves and hallways were right angles, of course. Since brakes had not been engaged, it was still spinning at 2000 RPM or so by the time it was loaded. When the truck turned a corner, the drive precessed right out through the side of the truck. It held a few megabytes at most, if I recall correctly (a similar unit was used as a swap disk on the PDP-10, so it would have held 256K or so). "

As long as I've hijacked the thread, I might as well revel in it.

nealaustin
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:28 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

After grinding through all of the OOOOOOOOOOOOOld computer stories and not finding any more replies to the question, I always thought that Piaggio or Vespa made superior products. One of the rplies mentions machining problems. I am planning to buy a scoot in the spring. My first vehicle was a Kreidler back in 1970. I am torn between the Stella. Chetak and the Fly. I keep gravitating towards the Piaggio Fly but love the 2 stroke stella. Not the enviromental first choice. Bajaj has some reports of shoddyness too. Anyone have an answer.

YoYo how did your husbands fly's problem finally get resolved and which dealer did you go through for the Fly?

Neal
chris
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:54 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Who the fuck is nealaustin? That's the coolest name I have ever heard. Sounds like a fucking astronaut or some shit. I don't know what this tread is even about but I think that Nate is the sexiest nerd I have ever seen! and by nerd I mean snot sucking, fart sniffing, ball licking, ear wax eating, toe jam snorting, wheelie popping, 5 days on one pair of underware waring, nipple tickling, armpit huffing, cock jocky! You know the kind of guy that makes that little part of your body just behind your left knee tingle. I once had this problem, I was probably in 5th grade or so, where the toenail on the toe next to my big toe on my right foot just sort of got all soft and shit and then my toe itself sort of started pealing like when you have a sunburn well it went away after a while and I have never had any problems since.

I love you Nate!

Chris

Egan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:10 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Chris it is EXACTLY like that. But maybe the second from the big, but I dunno maybe just like it.

yoyo65
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:55 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I don't know if the problem has been resolved. He got fed up with it and had it towed over to Motoprimo (where he bought it). He's having them store it over the winter and told them he was still having problems with it.
I guess we won't find out until spring.

When we could get the thing to work, it is a very nice bike. Rides smooth. Handles well. Fast. Denfinently much quicker on the acceleration then my Schwinn Graduate. At only 49cc/4-stroke, the Schwinn just doesn't have the "get up and go". Kinda sucks sometimes, It can take me up to two level blocks to get it to 30mph, with a backwind. Guess this means I won't be doing any summer rides with you all, I'd never keep up. Of course my Schwinn is only classified as moped, the Fly is classified as a motorcycle. DH still needs to get a motorcycle endorsment on his liscense.

DH was looking at a Muligatti (sp) Phantom also. My gut feeling was to go with the Muligatti. Our 5 yr old want daddy to get the Muligatti because it looked like something Batman would have. DH and DS are both REALLY into Batman. LOL

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:30 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

And why not? Batman's cool!

NealAustin, on the subject of what to get, they're all actually good bikes. But in my experience Motoprimo, though a nice store, doesn't take much interest in scooters - to them they're just a fad toy that might lure people into the store to look at a "real" motorcycle. For that reason, though I like the new vespas too, I personally wouldn't consider them - a dealer who doesn't take them seriously and doesn't specialize in them is sure to give you crappy service and be unable to resolve your problems. And to the best of my knowledge, Motoprimo is the only Vespa/Piaggio dealer in town.

I'd go over to Scooterville and check out what they have. They only sell scooters (well, and that Kymco motorcycle, but it's just one model, right?), and if you like the look and feel of the Fly, you'd probably be just as happy with one of the nice Kymcos they sell - and they're a little cheaper too. The bonus is, they're also the local Stella and Bajaj dealer, so if you're considering those, you can check them out there too. I don't work for scooterville; but maybe if I send enough customers their way they'll give me a discount...

nealaustin
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:26 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Gee never had anyone swoon over my name like Noob did. As to Tom's reply it sure sounds like scooterville is a grand place. I was there once and wanted to look at the Stellas only to get hijacked by an owner of a Kymko p-150. My wife was with and was cutting my time short. Someone was pushing an idlleing Stella past me in the showroom and at thet point..... you guessed my sweet wife had enough of my midlife crisis and off we went. I wear the pants in the family, but my wife tells me which ones to wear. I don't like the "charriot style" of the Kymco's. The 2 stroke I had as a kid wasn't self mixing, They sold the the mix at the gas station where I lived. Just how dependable is your Stella, Tom? Would you rate it better than the Bajaj? The salesperson at Scooterville said to me that Genuine seemed to pay more attention to the details than Bajaj. BTW-my real would probably remind Noob of space monkeys.

Neal
nealaustin
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:28 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I meant my name would probably remind Chris of space monkeys

Neal